C:\> Monday, August 03, 2026

Self-Plagiarism

A couple of days ago I picked up the guitar that sits ready in its stand next to me in the office for the first time in a long time. Months. Maybe a couple ofyears, even.


After giving it a tune I started toying around the fretboard, and just like the Old Days a structure formed, a proto-song, something that has not risen from my consciousness in a long time, the result of an atrophied creative center in my brain. Or just exhaustion.


The song gained more form, a chord progression, rhythm, and melody, so I hit record on my phone's audio app and took it down.


I liked how it sounded, melancholy yet not falling into oversentimental schmaltziness.


But when I played it back it sounded familiar somehow, and then I realized that I had plagiarized myself: It was almost exactly the bridge from one of my old songs about Adrianna.


It was irritating and disappointing, and I wondered how often this happened to real songwriters. I mean, there are only so many notes and just your own personal psyche that provides a filter to facilitate their birth.


Cindy said that of course, it happens all the time, and occasionally on the same album, which I found funny, but true.

0 comments: