CompuServe and the Nostalgia Trap
I've been watching a few videos on YouTube from Techdistrict, a channel that specializes in little documentaries on the rise and fall of early tech giants. Examples include AOL, Sun Microsystems, Gateway, CompuServe, etc.
They are very interesting if annoyingly
"narrated" by AI journeys. It's so amazing that companies that were
once so large and towering, both in market cap and social/cultural
significance, can somehow wither away into nothing. It's often a study in
hubris and not being able to recognize which way the winds were blowing.
However, it also reinforced something that I've
noticed as a biproduct of Adrianna's loss: Nostalgic dalliances are much more
painful for me now.
It was cool to see images of CompuServe's
simple startup page that would greet you after waiting for a successful modem
handshake and connection, a little discordant song that would fill me with
anticipation of what was to come, what was to be discovered. Who was to be
discovered.
The GUI was rendered in 8-bit 256-color image
files that formed little buttons, each tantalizingly beckoning you to check out
the new worlds just a click away: news, sports, travel, games, and the
internet, curated experiences each represented with simple art and basic colors.
Much of it was a walled-off area that wasn't
even truly "the internet" at all. That, after all, was its own
separate gateway, its own separate area that might has well have been the Wild
West.
There was email, too, though at that point you
could only email other CompuServe users, whose usernames were composed of a five-digit
number followed by a comma and then four other digits.
"I am not a number, I am a human
being!" indeed, but that was what we had. I can't remember mine or find
any reference to it, but I do know it started with a 7...
You'd pay by the hour which was metered by the
minute, but we were glad to have it. Seeing these images again and remembering
that time in my life hit me hard. So much was ahead, and anything was possible. I
knew that soon I'd be able to talk to my daughter and others no matter where
they were in the world, and I couldn't wait for that opportunity.
The tech was moving so fast, and I was along
for the ride loving every minute of it.
Soon the pay model changed to unlimited time
for a set amount per month, and that was that. Then AIM and other instant
messengers. And newsgroups. And webspace like GeoCities. The always on internet
via DSL, cable modems, T1 lines and finally fiber optic.
But at the start for me, in the early to
mid-90s, there was CompuServe. And there was Adri.
Part of me irrationally wants to go back to
that era, to a pseudo-"simpler time," where just the notion of
getting real-time news updates and being able to view the artwork at the Louvre
from my apartment desk at 3am in the morning was just so wonderful. Where I
could make contact with friends from childhood that I hadn't spoken to in
decades.
Where Adri was alive and thriving. Where Adri
had decades still ahead of her. Where technology promised to bring us all
together.
Where little things were taken for granted but eventually slipped away forever.
Where time was static.
I'd give almost anything to be there again, to
live it all over again with her.

0 comments:
Post a Comment