C:\> Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bluetooth

Bluetooth is a cool, albeit under utilized, technology. I like all things wireless: wireless phones, wireless mice, wireless security cameras, wireless electric guitars, etc. You get the point. No wires = Good. I just wish they could come up with a wireless protocol that could also transmit energy along with information. Example: A vacuum cleaner.

Wouldn't it be nifty if there were cordless vacuum cleaners? I'm not talking about those dumb rechargeable little things that go dead after about three minutes and thus are not of much use other than cleaning up the crumbs from a single soda cracker. No, I mean a full-fledged, full-powered vacuum cleaner. An upright. Like the ones with cords. It's a pain to have to maneuver the cord around with one hand as you push the vacuum around with another, trying to avoid said cord whilst also trying to vacuum up all the crud from under the couch and around the baseboards.

It gets tiresome. And, sometimes you accidentaly vacuum up the cord itself. Best case scenario then is that it gets unplugged and you have to trudge back to the outlet and replug it in. Worst case scenario, the cord gets destroyed by the spinning vacuum brushes and you have an electrical fire on your hands and/or the cat gets fried.

Furthermore, I don't like being tethered to one part of the house, having to stretch and get as much cleaned before I need to unplug and replug in a new outlet to get more crud in other parts of the house that can't be reached from the first outlet.

See, if we had electrical energy sent wirelessly to appliances all would be dandy. The vacuum nightmare would be ended, along with the problem I often have of a bunch of appliance cords twisted and knotted on the kitchen counter, getting discolored with crud to boot. You go to unplug something because you need to plug something else in, say like a blender, and you know you won't need the toaster so you want to unplug that but you can't tell what's the toaster cord and what's the coffee maker or the grinder or the can opener or the microwave or the Kitchen-Aid(tm) Mixer or the rice cooker or the lava lamp, because they've become intertwined amongst each other like an orgy of octopusses (I refuse to say 'octopi'). See, if they were all wireless, we wouldn't have that problem.

I read somewhere that Tesla (the scientist, not the band) was working on such technology before he died, but then the government murdered him and stole all his paperwork. Is this true? What does Snopes say, if anything? I can't be bothered to look.

But back to Bluetooth.

No, forget it. Screw Bluetooth, I'm bored with this topic.

5 comments:

katiemoo said...

Don't you have a wife to vacuum for you?

Hank said...

She's busy earning bacon. Since I earn, at best, baco-bits (those little things you toss on salad that aren't even really bacon but rather "textured vegetibable protein" or something), the least I can do is trudge about the house tethered to an outlet with a vacuum sucking up crud.

Which I do rarely, btw. ;-)

Anonymous said...

IAWTP!

In quasi-unrelated news, we just bought DVD/VHS recorder (corded) which has a remote (cordless) designed by someone with a sense of humor.

The remote has an "any" key. I shit you not.

BTW, the word verification thingy below is pesky. Sometimes the warp of the font makes identification of some letters a debatable issue.

OKAY! It just happened again! The last letter LOOKED like a j. What it actually was is unknown to me since the program did not agree. GRR!

Hank said...

re: word verification:

Yeah, it's flakey. I used to have the same problem posting comments to LJ, but it was actually worse, because that little letter salad also had a background that obscured what the letters were.

At least here, if you get it wrong a couple of times they give you a new letter jumble.

I'd turn it off, but when I do I immediately get comment spam.

katiemoo said...

Oh...it just occurred to me that I could probably turn that thing on, and thus not get comment spam. Hmm...