C:\> Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Why ask why

In an answer to a query, I went on this trip because my cousin had been leading these excursions for about seven or eight years already (he still does so, but for the last 15 years or so they go up to Hudson Bay). He asked me if I wanted to go, and I could tell everyone (grandparents, aunt (his mother) were excited so I thought I better do it.

Fred has always been an outdoorsy type. He was an eagle Scout, and he won some competition when he was in high school given by National Geographic where he got to spend a couple of months on a glacier or something. That sort of thing. My great grandmother (his grandmother) always used to say that he was "more Indian than man." That used to make me laugh on so many levels, but mainly because, in her mind, I guess, Indians weren't human. She differentiated between, you know, real humans and native Americans. Now I know she didn't really believe this, but that's how is sounded.

I had a good time on the trip, but it was nothing like my grandparents and my aunt described. They had a much more romantic (and easy) view of the whole thing in their minds. And truth be told, it really wasn't that fun during the trip... it's only afterwards that you remember it being more fun than it really was... sort of like what I hear happens when you're in the army. Old vets get around the table playing bingo at the local VFW talking about the good old days while they were hip-deep in water in the jungles of New Guinea. That sort of thing.

The interesting thing is that my aunt (actually great aunt, being my grandmother's sister and all, but who's keeping score) actually went on one of Fred's canoe trips. She was all of 70. Frankly, I don't know how she did it; it was very tough and demanding. Perhaps (and this is not to diminish the accomplishment, for she was after all 70 years old) the Hudson Bay version of this trip is a bit easier. Less portages perhaps? I doubt he made her carry the canoe, either. But still, hats off to her and all that.

The aunt, by the way, was an art teacher, so she's the one who always paints the paddle for Fred (who does a new paddle each trip). Not everyone is as gifted and talented as yours truly; they must get others to do their handiwork. Heehee. ;-P

2 comments:

katiemoo said...

*Fewer* portages.

Hank said...

Yeah, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention...