C:\> Monday, September 12, 2005

Drive

So yesterday I drove my grandparents down to Dallas from Chicago. Actually, about 2 hours north of Chicago, Lake Geneva, Wi.

IH 43 to 39 to 55 to 44 to 69 to 75.

Fontana to Beloit to Rockford to Bloomington to Springfield #1 to St Louis to Rolla to Springfield #2 to Joplin to Pryor to Muskogee to McAlester to Durant to Denison to Sherman to McKinney to Plano to Carrollton.

A nice 16 hour drive with a cat in the back seat, too.

Thought of Verlinda when I drove through St Louis and didn't take the loop around that also takes you to Memphis;

thought of Todd when I drove through Springfield #2 and when I got off the Will Rogers Turnpike at Big Cabin to go south on 69 instead of continuing on to Tulsa;

Was reminded that it was 9/11 and all that meant when I passed an exit for Oklahoma City.

I like driving, seeing the country this way, but I've done this same route so many times over the last 25 years that I can do it in my sleep (and often do for a few seconds during the long straight-aways ;-). I really need a new drive with new scenery and new gas stations and, for a nice change, NO CONSTRUCTION. Is that too much to ask?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You take Simba with you? How does he take that? My cats always hated car trips.

I'm not one for long car trips, though good company can make it more fun.

Hank said...

No, it was my grandparent's cat.

katiemoo said...

I thought of Verlinda and Todd too when I was in StL and saw signs for Memphis and Tulsa, respectively.

Are your grandparents moving to the big D?

Hank said...

No, the past 10 or so years they go back and forth, living in Chicago during the summer/fall, Dallas in the winter/spring.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I *thought* I felt someone thinking about me--and I was right! 2 someones!

I take it the cat stays in a carrier.

I like road trips too--as long as I can either a) drive or b) sleep, since motion sickness and long car trips don't mix well.

9/11 and OKC--appropriate and sad that you were close to OKC on that particular day.

ETA I'm tired of having to type these stupid letters, Hank! ! ! ;)