C:\> Friday, February 18, 2005

New Note

I just discovered a thirteenth note. Yeah, I know, you think there are only twelve. Some of you might even think there are just eight, those Eight made famous by Rogers and Hammerstein's "Do Re Me" in The Sound Of Music.

Of course, those In The Know believe there are 12, these being:

A A# B C Db D Eb E F F# G Ab

Oh, you can call A# (A Sharp) Bb (B Flat) if you want, but it's the same note.

So let's agree that the Western Scale at least has twelve notes.

Until today.

Until, whilst tuning the wonderful Fender 12-string my wife bought for me for my birthday several years ago, I finally found that elusive 13th note.

Right there between B and C.

I'm tempted to call it B Sharp. But no. B Sharp (B#) is really C (C).

Is it then, say, Cb (C Flat)?

NO! C'mon, get with the program.

This is a different note, betwixt B and C. I've decided to call it "Steve".

Because I can.

I've been looking for years for this note, and finally found it. Now, my search for that note between E and F begins in earnest.

Wish me luck.

0 comments: